Friday, August 3, 2012

Flashback to November 4, 2011: Busy Legs

When Rhys was about a month old, I was very excited to learn that I could leave him alone in his crib with some toys and his mobile playing while I stepped away to switch the laundry or make a quick snack in the kitchen.  I remember how liberating this discovery felt!  The first time I did this, I went down to the laundry room, carrying the video monitor with me.  I glanced at the monitor while I was switching laundry and he seemed to be doing just fine.  I couldn't have been gone more than 5 minutes.  When I got back to the nursery, this is what I found ...


At first I was really confused.  I could have sworn I'd put his pants back on when I'd just changed him. Then it hit me: he had wriggled his legs right out of his pants. 

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.  Rhys has always liked to move his legs.  In fact, he was breech because he got his feet tangled in the umbilical cord.  (I remember thinking that it felt like he was Irish step dancing in the womb.  I figure he danced a bit too much and then when it was time, realized he couldn't flip.)  Side note: the fact his feet were tangled is why all the acupuncturist, chiropractor, massage, and swimming sessions I did at the end of my pregnancy to flip him didn't help.

Anyway, these days, his busy legs translate into crawling all over the place (particularly into areas that haven't been baby-proofed) and constantly flipping over and trying to stand up on the changing table when we're trying to change his diaper.  We'll just have to wait and see what they will translate into as he gets older ...

No comments:

Post a Comment